Updated: Jan 7
Everyone has their own idea of the perfect woman. This idea usually stems from societal, cultural, or religious values and standards. Truth is we are only perfect if we believe to be perfect ourselves. Here are a few tips to help every woman become her best self, and I have to stress this; only you know what’s best for you.
1) No one should define or tell you what femininity or being a woman is: Ignore the “a woman should” statements, be the kind of woman you want to be there is nothing like too feminine or less feminine. Don't let anyone bully you into conforming to societal standards of womanhood or femininity , being different is what makes us unique after all.
2) Remove age from your goals: You are never too old for anything. In a world which is highly obsessed with age, you might feel like a failure if you have not completed different projects by the time you reach a certain age. Time lines set by society will only pressurize and depress you, don’t give the society and people that power. You can pick up a new hobby, start school, fall in love and embark on a new career at any age.
3) Women friendships: Abandon the popular myth that women friendships are centered on hate, jealousy and other toxic traits. Girls hate each other” guess what? Where there are human beings there will always be hate, men hate each other, and children hate each other. Just because you’re a girl doesn’t mean every girl will like you. Be friends with the girls you like and make sure they like you back. Create as many friendships with fellow girls as you can, they’re the closest thing you can have to sisters. They are more likely to understand what you are going through, or what you have been through as a woman.
“If you feel like it’s hard to be friends with women, consider that maybe women aren’t the problem. Maybe it’s just you”-Roxane Gay
4) Read: You should be knowledgeable about what’s going on around you. Being dumb has never been cute. It is very easy to access information these days, you can learn almost anything on the internet. Be well informed, read about different issues around you, be it, politics, social, philosophy, and cultural issues. Reading will not only make you more knowledgeable, it will also make you more empathetic and will easily turn you into a great conversationalist as well as a critical thinker. Instead of engaging in petty gossip and meaningless conversations, you can find something of substance to talk about.
A well-read woman is a dangerous creature-Lisa Kleypas
5) Never put your life and your happiness on hold: You do not have to wait for something to happen for you to live or experience happiness. Be happy on your own terms, live in the moment and don’t feel bad about it. You cannot prevent yourself from being happy because one part of your life isn’t going as well as you might wish. Enjoy life as it happens, live it!
“Don’t wait. Make memories today, Celebrate your life”-Unknown
6) Forgive yourself: You are a human being, as you grow, you will still keep on making terrible decisions. Just remember that, one single bad decision doesn’t define your whole life. Forgive yourself, learn from your mistakes and move on. No one has it all figured it out, don’t be fooled.
Bonus: Your body is not weird, you might have insecurities about your flaws and hate your body sometimes, just remember there is no right kind of “beautiful”. Your flaws are what make you unique. Embrace your body, rise above the unrealistic body standards perpetuated by media and be comfortable in your own body.